FUNDING FORMS HAVE BEEN UPDATED. IF YOU HAVE SUBMITTED YOUR FUNDING REQUEST BEFORE 9/16/2009, YOU MUST RESUBMIT AND EMAIL VGSA PRESIDENT at VGASPRES@GMAIL.COM.
The Viterbi Graduate Student Association strives to encourage special interest groups of all types.
In order to be considered for funding, a requesting organization must meet ALL of the following requirements:
- Only USC Recognized Student Organizations can apply for funding.
- Eligible Events
- Conferences, seminars, retreats, workshops, recognition, social events, philanthropic events, and networking events are at the discretion of the VGSA Executive Board or VGSA Board.
- Only planned programs with detailed cost breakdowns and vendor quotes will be considered.
- Only USC approved vendors can be used. Please contact Purchasing for USC approved vendors.
- Fundraising events are prohibited.
- Charging admission to a VGSA funded event is prohibited unless admission is used to defray event costs and only upon approval of the VGSA Executive Board. Also, partners and children of USC graduate engineering students must be treated with USC graduate engineering student standing for admission charging purposes, i.e. if the event is free for USC graduate engineering students, it must also be free for their partners and children.
- Full or partial funding is never guaranteed. Requestors are expected to research and apply for additional funding sources.
- Funds run out as the year progresses, so it is in your best interest to apply for funds as early as possible.
- We require that you document that you are seeking additional funding in order to qualify for VGSA funding. Examples of additional funding include funding from the Graduate Professional Student Senate, your department, or your school.
- Funding requests over $300 will not be accepted after the deadline prior to the last VGSA Board meeting of the year. Funding requests less than $300 will not be accepted after the deadline prior to the last Executive Board meeting of the year. Meeting schedules can be found on the VGSA website.
- Organizations requesting funding from VGSA must also co-sponsor the event using their own organization funds. The co-sponsorship must be a minimum of $25.
- Items that will not be funded
- Alcoholic beverages
- Non instantiated amounts [like miscellaneous or other or unplanned expenses]
- For VGSA Board Proposals
- Allow at least 5 weeks prior to the date of the event for the approval process and generation of funds.
- For Executive Board Proposals
- Allow at least 3 weeks prior to the date of the event for the approval process and generation of funds.
- Before Approval
- Obtain vendor quotes including vendor codes.
- Submit the required forms at least 28 days (minimum) prior to the date of the event. Failure to meet this requirement will result in denial of the funding request.
- A formal funding request must be submitted to the VGSA Finance Chair via email at least 48 hours prior to the next VGSA meeting to be considered at that meeting. Late submissions will be considered for the following meeting
- After Approval Before Event
- Groups or organizations receiving VGSA funding must fill out and submit the PO and IR Request Form within two business days of approval.
- Email Vice President - Communications details of the event to be added to VGSA website and advertisements.
- Display the VGSA logo in accordance with the terms and conditions of the VGSA Funding Agreement, including prominent display of the VGSA logo on any promotional materials and at the proposed event.
- If funding is in the form of a Purchase Order (PO) or Internal Requisition (IR), pick them up from the VGSA President or Vice President (Finance).
- After Event
- The group or organization must also submit all invoices and receipts within two(2) business days after the funded activity.
- Fill out the VGSA Event Evaluation form and submit copies of all promotional material for the event to the VGSA President within 3 days after the conclusion of the event. You can also email pictures from the event to VGSA.
- If these obligations are not met, funding may be withdrawn along with cancellation of all PO's and IR's issued for the event.
IV. To Request Funds
V. Fund Approval Process
- The organization will be provided an opportunity to send a member to represent the organization at the next VGSA board meeting to answer questions regarding the request (if any).
- For Funding Requests LESS THAN $300
- The Finance Committee will review requests and advise the Executive Board of their recommendation.
- The Executive Board will review the requests and vote based on a simple majority. Decisions are made at each meeting of the Executive Board.
- For Funding Requests of $300 or MORE
- The Finance Committee will review requests and advise the VGSA Board of their recommendation.
- The VGSA Board will vote on these requests based on a simple majority. Decisions are only made at the VGSA Board meeting.
- The organization will be notified via email regarding the outcome of their funding request within 2 business days after the review of the proposal by the VGSA board.
VI. Additional Questions